Aakash is an Android 2.2 (Froyo) powered device with a 7-inch resistive touchscreen. It will not feature many applications that might be available in the high end tablets but, with such an amazing price tag one cannot really ask for more. The retail price will be around 60$ (Rs. 2999) but will be available at subsidized rates for 35$ (Rs.1750). The Indian Government expects the price to gradually drop down to 20$ (Rs. 1000) and ultimately to 10$ (That’s just Rs. 500!). It is certainly an amazing breakthrough and can certainly help in improving the quality of education in the country.
The full tablet specifications are as follows:
- Processor: 366 Mhz. Connexant with Graphics accelerator and HD Video processor
– Memory (RAM): 256MB RAM / Storage (Internal): 2GB Flash
– Storage (External): 2GB to 32GB Supported
– Peripherals (USB2.0 ports, number): 1 Standard USB port
– Audio out: 3.5mm jack / Audio in: 3.5mm jack
– Display and Resolution: 7″ display with 800×480 pixel resolution
– Input Devices: Resistive touch screen
– Connectivity and Networking: GPRS and WiFi IEEE 802.11 a/b/g
– Power and Battery: Up to 180 minutes on battery. AC adapter 200-240 volt range.
- OS: Android 2.2
– Document Rendering
– Supported Document formats: DOC, DOCX, PPT, PPTX, XLS, XLSX, ODT, ODP
– PDF viewer, Text editor
– Multimedia and Image Display
– Image viewer supported formats: PNG, JPG, BMP and GIF
– Supported audio formats: MP3, AAC, AC3, WAV, WMA
– Supported video formats: MPEG2, MPEG4, AVI, FLV
This isn’t a tablet which is for the gadget-geeks and is not meant for giving performance which will be in comparison to the iPads and the high end Android tablets. It is meant for a specific purpose which it will hopefully fulfill. The tablet has had its own controversies due to its ultra-low cost but hopefully, this tablet will be a success in the country.
Stay tuned with us at Facebook & Twitter and Subscribe Email to get updates on latest Tech Updates.