In this tutorial I will show you how to flash CM10 to a Galaxy Vibrant T959 smartphone. If you want to update the Vibrant to jelly Bean, than you should know that root access will be required. We are dealing with a custom ROM, so this operation doesn't come from Samsung. Furthermore, by rooting you will remove the factory restrictions and you will gain more access to the Android system. This is meaning that the warranty will get void. You can anytime restore the same by downgrading to the stock ROM, or by updating with an official release of the software. Only then the factory restrictions will be restored and the bootloader relocked. Besides rooting, your smartphone should also have a custom recovery image pre-installed.
Because CM10 is a custom ROM, you will have to do a backup first. By applying the update, the data will be corrupted and you will lose all of your saves whether we are talking to text messages, contacts, call logs, internet saves, market apps, or images and videos. Therefore, take the time needed for completing a full and safe backup.
Finally, the last section of this tutorial that is required before the actual steps. This is the pre requisites section, so don’t skip it. As you might know, you will have to download some files, save them to a Windows running computer and then flash the same from your phone. So, you need to have access to a computer, to your Vibrant and to its USB cord. Then, charge the handset. Enable the USB debugging option from its settings. If on the PC or on the smartphone there are security programs installed, temporarily deactivate them. Finally go here “Settings -> Location and Security -> Sim card lock” and ensure that the checkbox is not selected.
Now, after you had seen what to expect from Cyanogenmod 10, you can head to the steps from below. From there you can learn how to update your Samsung Galaxy Vibrant T959 to Android 4.1.2 OS. Make sure you are applying the guide only for the mentioned device and not for similar ones as you can easily brick them.
Update Galaxy Vibrant T959 with Jelly Bean based Cyanogenmod 10 Custom ROM
- Download the ROM from here.
- Download Google apps from here.
- Download the root fix file from here.
- Save the files on the computer.
- Connect the handset with the same by using the USB cord.
- Copy the files to your phone.
- Then, remove the USB cable.
- And turn the phone off.
- Reboot and try to enter in recovery mode. For this press and hold the Volume Up and Volume Down buttons while powering on.
- From recovery first choose “wipe cache partition” and “wipe data factory reset”.
- Then, select “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”.
- Pick the files and install them in this order: the ROM, the kernel, the JB-SuperSU.zip file and finally the gapps-jb-20120715.zip file.
- Wait until the flash procedure ends and from recovery mode select “+++go back+++” followed by “reboot system now”.
Well, now your Samsung Galaxy vibrant is running Cyanogenmod 10 meaning that it was successfully updated with Jelly Bean. Congratulations and keep updated with us for more infos. If any problem arises, please feel free to contact us.