A Java Ring is a finger ring that contains a small microprocessor. It is a sort of smart card that is wearable on a finger.A ring is a personal thing that the user and only the user carries along anytime and anywhere, so that she can authenticate yourself in every situation.Since it has not been very popular these day,its really a new opening for sure. The main components are RAM(134 KB), ROM(32 KB), areal time clock and java virtual machine(JVM) .The JVM is the “processor architecture” on which java byte code is executed. It is mostly implemented in software, and available for a large variety of hardware platforms, ranging from mainframe computers to mobile phones and small embedded devices. It is a stainless-steel ring,having diameter of about 16 millimeters, containing 1-million-transistor processor, called an iButton. The Java Ring is an extremely secure Java-powered electronic token with a continuously running,rugged packaging, suitable for many applications.
Mobile computing is beginning to break the chains that tie us to our desks, but many of today’s mobile devices can still be a bit awkward to carry around. In the next age of computing, we will see an explosion of computer parts across our bodies, rather than across our desktops. Digital jewelry, designed to supplement the personal computer, will be the evolution in digital technology that makes computer elements entirely compatible with the human form.
Advantages of Using Java Ring
- An Java Ring becomes a personalized key to protected assets and information. By touching the correct key to an iButton reader, the desired event, such as, opening a lock is enabled.
- Java Ring provides authentication to users which is crucial for many applications. It is easier for administrator to maintain the security infrastructure.
- The Java Ring provides a simple, secure way of identifying a person or asset. It can serve as an electronic serial number that is never duplicated.
- Java Ring can be an personalized token and acts like a small change purse for one or multiple applications.They are perfect for a wide variety of e-Cash functions like mass transit systems, parking meters, gaming systems, vending and fleet refueling.
Disadvantage of Using Java Ring
- iButton has a limited processor power and memory. For better performance and scalability it is imperative to move the processing load to the application server.
- Even though ibutton can be purchased for cheaper price, in order to function, it needs a receiver such as blue dot receptor which could be very expensive.
- A Java Ring-based system doesn’t automatically allow user mobility. The problem with the Java Ring that many of the organization don’t even know the existence of Java Ring.
- Since limited amount of information can be stored which means an individual might need to carry more than one Java Ring.